Monday, June 17, 2013

Okay so my apologies if this email is spazzy, I don't have much time today. HAPPY LATE FATHER'S DAY!!! I love you so much dad. Wish I could've been there to help spoil you.. but just know how much I love you and am grateful to have seriously the best dad in the world. Couldn't be more blessed.

Last week we had an interesting evening where we went to contact a referral and they were NOT interested, to say the least. May have slammed the door in our faces hah. But we felt that we had gone there that night for a reason. We were kind of lost on what to do. After much praying in the car and wondering what to do next.. this man walked up to our car and motioned for us to come out. Basically he was trying to preach to us and said that he felt drawn to us. He ended up inviting us in and we taught him and his mom. Although he was still trying to "prove" his religion (Apostolic Pentecostal) they accepted a Book of Mormon. I don't know what will come from it but we were there for a reason. And it was kind of interesting listening to his method of teaching.. I had just read that day in Jacob 7 about Sherem, an antichrist. And he used flattery and was basically sneaky as he taught. Which summed up our appointment with Mark. But it was cool to think back on how we are to teach people as missionaries and that is only through the Spirit, allowing them to feel of it and be converted. It isn't about manipulating or deceiving people.. kind of a cool connection.

We saw Joyce again this past week! (the sweetest older deaf lady). She LOVED our visit. It is extremely hard to communicate with her so we have a teamup this week with someone that knows more than the abc's in sign haha. The Spirit was incredibly strong with Joyce, bearing testimony of God's love for her and that He has a plan for her and all His children. 

Zone training on Tuesday was way awesome! We went to Topeka and the entire training was on the Atonement. It was amazing. Our zone leaders, Elder Moyle and Elder Holt are both so great and the Spirit was so strong! I felt so rejuvenated and like pumped to be a missionary pretty much. Although Elder Moyle did give me some interesting advice ha- "Spider bites build character"..... referring to our army of spiders in our apartment. Thanks Elder.

We taught this guy Pedro that has met with missionaries in the past. He was the coolest guy ever!! He is from Africa and is pretty much genius. He knows like 10 languages and has his masters and is studying something here at the University. (I don't even know what comes after a masters so basically that's how smart he is) But pretty much he told us that he is too busy right now.. even after we bore testimony that IF he makes time for God and takes that step of faith, he will be so blessed! He did tell us that "he will be Mormon someday".. hah so this genius of a man who is also hilarious will come around.

We found this magical apartment complex. It is FULL of students from Ecuador and they are all soooo nice. We met a couple new friends there that we will start teaching, except one falls under the Single's ward age so they will teach him.

Shawn is still doing well and reading/praying. I honestly feel like she is one of the main reasons why I am here in Kansas. I have no doubt she will accept the gospel. Whether that be next week or in a couple years or in the Spirit World.. I just KNOW she will. She has such strong faith in our Savior and we always have the best heart to hearts with her and the Spirit is incredible whenever with her. Funny story. She refuses to call us Sister Smartt and Sister Stewart. She feels that we are too close of friends to refer to each other as last names.. so my new name she came up with is "Sparkles" and she refers to Sister Stewart as "Lil Sis"... Hahahah she is so awesome. I think I mentioned this previously but one huge struggle of hers is accepting that there is more than just the Bible. Well something amazing happened in one of our visits this past week! She said "Well Sparkes and Lil Sis, I was talking to Father last night and He revealed something to me. He told me that the Book of Mormon is just like another book. Like the book of Mathew or the book of John." And she continued on about how it clicked that it is just MORE scripture that has been revealed. She is awesome, I love Shawn so much! We visited her yesterday and brought her cookies for her birthday. Please keep her in your prayers :)

Last night we were also able to see Felix!! He is AWESOME. I love him and his kids so much. I talked about Serenity last week and she is still as cute as ever. Now his 17 year old and 15 year old and then his 14 year old, Jacob, moved in with him. We were able to teach the Plan of Salvation with a team up that was perfect! The older two weren't home but Felix, Jacob, and Serenity were there and it was awesome. I think my favorite part was being able to help Serenity understand who she really is. A daughter of God. Wanna hear something kind of funny/not really. So they sort of bailed on coming to church but his excuse was the best I have heard yet. He texted us Sunday and said "Sorry sisters! We really wanted to come but I stayed up late watching the Joseph move.." Hahah so I don't know if we should call bs or not on that one, but either way he is taking initiative and is very sincere in studying/learning and praying. He watched the Joseph Smith Movie all on his own and has been reading tons. Which is awesome. And they are all coming to a baptism with us this Saturday! And will be at church next week :)

Today we are basically going on a field trip. We are meeting up in Junction City, then driving to Wichita and having a sleepover there at some sister's apartment.. And then it is off to Kansas City Temple tomorrow!! (my old stomping grounds and I am so excited!!!!) I am excited to meet President and Sister Bell and to be with many of the missionaries in the new mission. It will be hard saying bye to President and Sister Keyes.. But I know this is the Lord's work and according to His plans, so here we go.

I hope you are all doing well and I miss you lots. Have a good week!

Love,

Sister Smartt

PS. Jacob 6:12 "O be wise; what can I say more?"

No comments:

Post a Comment