Monday, April 7, 2014

Okay at your request dad, let's start with our Vietnamese adventure!....
On Friday, Theresa and Victoria fed us. They started out with a glass of "fish eyes" It was just a small amount of liquid with these little squishy things. We drank them right up to find out that they were actually super good. And not fish eyes after all. (Basil seeds?) Next on the course was DUCK EGGS. Blehhhh. Sis H refused to try it after smelling it.. But I wanted to tough it out. Soo we cracked open the shells and were told to break open the yoke and drink it..... Okay WORST texture of my life!!!! Not to mention there were egg shells mixed in it.. Then once we drank all of the "juice" we were supposed to eat the duck fetus. It was pretty nast but I just loved the experience. Also, we made these fish wraps with rice paper and lots of veggies. At least I can say I got a traditional Vietnamese meal in thee one and only Kansas.
Next on the agenda is Marilyn!!! She is doing soo well! And FUNNY CRAP happened this week. Literally. Okay so after zone training on Friday we had an appointment with her and so we walked to her apartment, to meet a member (name will remain confidential). We had an awesome lesson on the Word of Wisdom and read from the Book of Mormon together. In the middle of the lesson our team-up went to use the bathroom.. she was gone QUITE a long while... Then she makes her grand entrance back into the lesson to announce "I clogged your toilet. Also, I broke your plunger and left it in the toilet." She awkwardly sits down and we all just bust up laughing hahahha. Best member present lesson ever. But seriously she is amazing and besides the laughter she caused, she brought the Spirit like nobody's business. The YSA branch is doing such a great job in welcoming Marilyn and helping her to get involved. Although they do owe her a plunger now.
General Conference was amazing!!!! I looove watching conference as a missionary. And maybe I had a slight panic attack when I realized that I won't be a missionary by the next conference. But I still have 18 months left so we don't even need to worry about that. What were all of your favorite talks!?? I honestly think my favorite part about this conference was being able to watch it with Marilyn for her first time. We watched it at President Beeson's house together. (Branch pres.) Taking a step back and realizing how powerful it is and how blessed we are to have a LIVING prophet on the earth today is refreshing. The Spirit that GC brings is soooo amazing and I can honestly say the Lord spoke to me this past weekend.
Elder Perry literally wrote his talk for me. I was so humbled and re-committed to turn my life over to the Lord. Life can be scary and even scarier when we try and figure things out on our own. Now more than ever, I know that we can rely on the Lord to lead and guide us. And to comfort and strengthen us. Our Father in Heaven truly does live and His son, Jesus Christ is our Savior! I know that we can receive guidance through the Holy Ghost if we are quiet enough for the still, small whisperings of the Spirit.
I have been studying a lot in the New Testament and I have to say that one of my new heroes is Paul! I am in Acts right now and his devotion to the Lord and his dedication to preaching the gospel is incredible. He literally sacrificed everything he had. And held NOTHING back.23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 
But none of these things move me, neither count my life dear unto myself, so that might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which havereceived of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
We are so beyond blessed to have the restored gospel. And I feel soo beyond blessed to be a missionary and representative of Christ's restored church. Time is ticking way too fast.

I love you all!
Sister Smartt
PS shoutout and happy birthday to Kiley!!!! Michelle, Kiley, and Madison who we found and taught in Topeka are getting baptized THIS Saturday. Breaks my heart that I can't be there..... But I am soo so happy for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment