Monday, May 12, 2014

BE WEIRD

I can't even put into words how great it was to "see" you all yesterday. That was one of the best feelings in the world!!! I loooove our fam and to all "be together", it was such a strength. And luckily it wasn't a distraction at all- just motivated me to work my tooshie off these next 18 months.
This past week has been a roller-coaster and a half. But I still have felt of the Lord's tender mercies and personal strength He gives me each day. Literally. The power that comes from Him is sooo so real. I can promise each of you that!
A favorite from the week happened yesterday in gospel principles (in the YSA branch). We had a lesson on covenants and specifically the baptismal covenant. The Spirit was definitely there, thick, and at the end of the lesson Marilyn (our awesome investigator!!) bore testimony. She shared with all of us her first experience in attending church. She said that she immediately thought we were all weird. (Referring to members of the church in general) She said that we all talk differently, act differently, and are just WEIRD. She said that she didn't quite know what to do with this weirdness but that she is now at a point in her life where she wants to be weird with us! She bore testimony that she knew we had something she did not and that she wants that in her life. She shared how touched she continually is to see the love and service that members give to everyone around them. This was a testimony to me that there are always people watching! The people that we are and the examples of our lives will impact soooo many people, more than we are aware of. We ARE kinda weird as members of the church- only because we are different than the world. We have the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and are members of HIS church. I think that that entitles us to be a little weird. I invite each of you to embrace being different and allow yourself to stand out. Be a light for others and boldly share this good news and light/strength that is available to everyone!
We found a couple new investigators this week through part member families, which was awesome and I will keep you posted on their progress :) I LOVE being a missionary. I truly desire with all of my heart to fulfill my purpose here in Kansas. I know that there are more people the Lord has prepared for us to teach here.
Another favorite experience this week was with Bonnie. (Bon bon, who I just adore and love!!) We showed up to invite her to church for Mother's Day and give her some cookies. She looked really shook up/scared. She explained to us that there was this really scary man that hid in her apartment and the police just took him away. (she is the one that lives at that suuper sketchy motel....) My heart literally broke for her! She just kept shaking and was on the verge of tears. It hurt to see one of our sisters living like that. We asked what we could do to help her and all she asked for was a hug. I gave her a hug and we asked if we could come in and pray with her. We weren't there for long but I can testify that the Spirit filled her room and there was such a feeling of comfort and serenity. This is the scripture I felt to share with her:
"Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction. O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever."
I am so grateful for the light, comfort, and strength that Christ can give us each day.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the love and support. I love you guys!

Sister Smartt

No comments:

Post a Comment